On the left, past the Bishop's Throne, is the Sacristy (where the priests prepare for worship). The Ascension Window (1987), the work of the Robert McCausland Studios (Toronto) and one of the newest windows in the Cathedral, was given by Francis Rowe and Louise Lambiase in memory of their brother Edward L. Rowe, who was for many years the Cathedral Sacristan. Adjacent to it is the Cathedral's oldest window, the tripartite Resurrection Window (1886) by Lavers, Barraud, and Westlake, which is the only stained glass to survive the fire of 1892. The "tears" visible on Mary's face are molten lead, a direct result of the fire's intense heat; lead has also run down the centre of Christ's face. One quatrefoil above the main window contains the scrambled word "PAX," indicating that it was installed backwards and upsidedown.
Just beyond the Sacristy, on the right above the stairs, is the Victoria Window (1903), given "by an Englishwoman" in memory of Queen Victoria. The Queen is depicted in prayer opposite the English king Alfred of Wessex. Above Victoria is King Ethelbert of Kent, whom St. Augustine converted to Christianity in the early seventh century, for the re-conversion of Britain begins with the advent of Augustine of Canterbury. Saints Peter and Paul are in the centre, and above all is enthroned Christ the King.
Next on the Tour: The Museum