Turning right toward the West Aisle, you see the corner window, which is dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel and also depicts the Madonna and Child. This window (1909) was given in memory of Aubrey Spencer, the Diocese's first Bishop.
Above the Great West Doors hangs an enlarged replica of the crest of the cruiser H.M.S. Newfoundland, which bears a caribou facing left encircled by a wreath surmounted by a crown. This emblem was given to commemorate the link between the naval cruiser and the people of Newfoundland, in recognition of the part Newfoundlanders played in supporting the War Savings Programme sponsored by the Newfoundland government during the Second World War (1939-45). The money so raised was presented to the British government to help defray the cost of building the gallant ship that bore the Dominion's name.
Above the crest is the great Te Deum Window (1952), the most impressive of the Powell windows, given by the Outerbridge family in memory of Sir Joseph Outerbridge (1843-1933) and his wife Maria (1863-1943). Among the donors was Sir Leonard Outerbridge, second Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland, Rector's Warden, and Knight of the Realm.
The figure of Our Lord in Glory, flanked by cherubim and seraphim, occupies the centre light; the Holy City is at the apex. Below the figure of Our Lord are depictions of the Crucifixion and the Madonna and Child. The upper portions of the outer side lights contain worshipping and praising angels, while in the lights adjoining the central ones are figures of the four Archangels. Below the latter are two angelic figures holding globes symbolic of the six days of Creation. In the outer lights are four winged creatures, the emblems of the four Evangelists, the first with the face of an ox or calf, another a lion's face, a third the face of a man, and the fourth an eagle's face.
The lower sections of the four side lights contain figures representing the Prophets, Martyrs, Apostles and the Holy Church. From left to right, they can be identified as follows (top to bottom). First light: St. Alban (with his martyr's sword) and St. Elizabeth (John the Baptist's mother); Isaiah, and St. John the Divine (holding a chalice). Second light: St. Paul and St. Peter (with keys). Centre/Third light: Christ in Glory. Fourth light: St. Anne (the mother of Mary) and St. Stephen, the first martyr (wearing his deacon's dalmatic). Fifth light: St. Hilda of Whitby (holding her abbey in miniature) and St. Augustine of Hippo; St. Nicholas (with bishop's crozier) and St. Agnes (a virgin martyr of the early Church).
Representations of the Annunciation, the Nativity, the Mater Dolorosa and the Resurrection occupy the base of the four lights.
This window also contains the words of the first and third sentences of the Te Deum: "We praise thee O God; we acknowledge Thee to be the Lord" and "To Thee all angels cry aloud, the heavens and all the powers therein." The second sentence is found at the Cathedral's east end, in the Rose Window above the High Altar: "All the earth doth worship Thee, the Father everlasting."
In the northwest corner is the Baptistry, which contains the magnificent font of polished Rosso Levanto marble, a dark red marble with green and grey markings, quarried in Turkey. Like many of the Cathedral's furnishings, the font was designed by Gilbert Scott and supplied by Harry Hems of Exeter.
The window to the west of the font (1908), dedicated to St. John the Baptist, depicts the Baptism of Jesus by John. This window was given by the Cathedral Men's Bible Class on the occasion of the thirtieth anniversary of the consecration of Llewellyn Jones, Newfoundland's fourth bishop. The window to the north (1924), depicts both the Martyrdom of St. Stephen and Jesus giving the Charge to Peter at the Seashore; this window was given in memory of James B.K. Kelly, Newfoundland and Labrador's third bishop.
Next on the Tour: The North Nave